Friday, December 28, 2012

Letter of Intent

As a student I could never focus at home. I always needed to be surrounded in a room (preferably coffee house) full of people being productive. Now by productive, that can mean a wide range of things, but that's besides the point. So I left the house today and found myself sitting at Barnes and Noble with a freshly blended Starbucks Frapp on my side and laptop open ready to get dirty. I thought about my career. That was my focus. Why am I an art teacher? Why did I decide to take this path in life? And, what am I going to do next? So I began writing a letter of intent, and it was very insightful.
I'm getting use to writing these days, it's almost becoming a hobby of sorts. So my focus for the following couple of hours was art education.
     I wrote about my education history, my teaching experience, what it was like being a first year teacher and a teacher in another country for that matter. I included information about my travels, employment, what I foresee happening in the future, all of that good stuff. And by the end I was very proud of myself. I've come a long way. Almost two years into teaching (a career that I had not originally planned or imagined I would enter) and I'm a survivor! I love working with kids. I love seeing their artwork reveal itself from a blank canvas to something amazing. I love the organization aspect that is required for my job. I have amazing co-workers and feel supported in what I do. I love the freedom to be creative and the trial and error that comes along. It's all very exciting to me.
     So I add it to the list of things that I am thankful for. Gratitude. This school year's theme. And I am so grateful for where God has brought me. I'm thankful in advance for where He is taking me, and I'm excited for the road ahead.

7th grade students drawing each other using the gesture drawing technique.
Love their enthusiasm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment