Friday, December 7, 2012

5 days of Fasting

It's true what they say. When you decide to follow Christ, life does not become easier. Instead, life has many more obstacles. It's like I have been off-roading in a dessert full of sand dunes lately. No joke. But what amazes me is that somehow God allows me to still feel peace. I told Julie (my roommate) once that it hurt to smile. And it did back then. But now, even with some of the same struggles, if not very similar struggles, I can smile without the hurt. My heart can still feel all warm and fuzzy even through the chaos. So back to last week. As soon as I returned from a getaway to an island (for reals! crazy, I know) I had to do something to challenge my spirit. So I fasted. For 5 days. Ok, so that just made me sound really heroic, but it's nothing like that. I fasted every day, but allowed myself to eat dinner. I am a breakfast girl. I mean full on ham and eggs, apple juice, toast or french toast (on a really good day) kinda girl. So fasting breakfast was the biggest challenge of all. Not to mention, I am a teacher to 10 different classes... 210 students! So yes, my stomach was trippin'. But I made it. And God showed up. But so did temptation. And the fight was daily.
     I dedicated each day to a different aspect of my life. Day 1: Family. Day 2: Students/my ministry here with them. Day 3: Friends and community. Day 4: My desires, and desires in general. Day 5: My future - decisions, open doors, opportunity.

     It's good to get back in line with God. And to really just come bare foot and kneeling before Him. I know that He heard all that I had to say and even those words that didn't make it out. He knows and I can rest assured that He will take care of it all. And through that week long challenge I held onto the promise in 1 Peter 5:10

And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all Grace, 
who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, 
will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

A beautiful sunset right outside my front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment