Saturday, August 6, 2011

I'm A Survivor

Day 3. So far it's been a wonderful transition -- reminds me of home actually minus the English. I can't believe how encouraging the administration is here at Pinares.  There are 14 of us "new teachers" who arrived on the 4th (everyone else will be trickling in on the 8th) and it’s been great getting to know them over past few days. We come from all over the place! There are teachers who represent Ohio, Indiana, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Canada (my first Canadian friend!), Arkansas and of course me - Texas! There is also a group of about 5 of us who will be first year teachers as well!

Surprisingly, getting settled in has not been very difficult. We had our first trip down the mountain to Walmart today, yes I said Walmart, where we were able to get a majority of the things we were missing and get a supply of food for the next week. They told us that our shipment of boxes should be arriving on Tuesday, which I am looking forward to. Now the only thing left is to get the classroom set up and ready for the first day on the 18th. The high school is actually under some renovations right now so we weren't able to get a peek into our classrooms, but we did get a chance to tour the elementary portion of the campus. Fortunately for me, I was told that the secondary art room would be getting new cabinets and storage units! How exciting! I get to start my first year teaching in a practically new room! 

Everything is so tranquil here on El Hatillo. The weather is wonderful. I would say it's been spread throughout the 80's during the day and with nights chilling down to high 60's or low 70's (I’m not very good at estimating weather, but it is rather similar to Ruidoso, NM). I love it. The campus is full of pine trees and wild flowers and the apartment is amazing! I have my own spacious bedroom and share a bathroom with Sarah (she's from Ohio). The only thing left is to decorate.

With all that said, I am excited to be here. I can’t wait to meet the returning teachers this coming week and experience more of what Tegucigalpa has to offer. There’s already talk of planning some trips around the country, and I think a trip to Nicaragua is underway. I just wonder when it will hit that I am actually living here and not just visiting for a couple of weeks.






4 comments:

  1. Happy to read that the transition was smooth sailing or shall I say a suavice la vela (definitely used google translation). Haahaa trying to insert some humor into my comment, anyways looking forward to reading your blogs and share a little bit of your abroad adventures through words. Im so excited and happy for you and you will be lifted up in my prayers. Ps 34:8 -Taste and see that the Lord is good, blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that this is the only interesting thing you wrote... but they have WALMART? that is sad but kind of wonderful so you can actually get everything you need :) abrazos desde Iceland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can transfer to that Walmart and fillyour prescirptions!!!
    Good to know your safe sis!!! love ya!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's cute how you thought high school would be starting on the 18th... yeah, about that...

    ReplyDelete