Saturday, August 20, 2011

Week 2 Adventures

A lot has happened since the rotten egg incident. For starters, school has been postponed again. Now instead of starting on Monday the 22nd, we're starting on Monday the 29th (no complaints on my end). Construction on the high school has been non-stop since we arrived here. The workers are putting in almost 12 hour work days, and we expect quality work. We even had a moving day this past week where we all put in help to get stuff out of storage and into the proper classrooms. I was super excited when it came time to move the art stuff. There was quite a surprise though. Apparently a stray cat was going into labor on a couple of art supply boxes (the compasses a protractors to be exact). As the new art teacher I am getting a whole new set of cabinets and countertops in the classroom. Everyone keeps telling me how lucky I am - I believe them. There's so much storage space! I did get to step foot into my classroom this past week and organize some - I spend a good amount of time in there on Friday. 

 
There have been quite a few adventures as well. 
     
     On Wednesday, after work, a few of us decided to go play a round of mini-golf down in the city. It was my first time taking a "rapiddito" (what they call the busses on the mountain) and it was definitely an experience. Once we reached the bottom of the mountain we caught a taxi who then dropped us off at the golf course. Let me tell you - that mini-golf course was the most challenging golf course I have ever attempted to putt on. There were so many distractions, hills and curves that it was almost impossible to get a hole-in-one at any given time. We had fun though. I will be coming back again. The night ended in a part one movie screening of The Sound of Music (I was apparently one of only a few of us who had never seen it before). We finished the movie on Thursday night, and I would recommend the movie to those who have never seen it. The actors in it are talented! I was very impressed. 



  
    
    On Friday, after work, I caught a ride with Dave, Debra, and a few other teachers down the mountain and over to the Multiplaza (mall) where we spent a good majority of the afternoon relaxing and shopping for shoes. After looking in several stores, I ended up getting some black FTOMS (that's what John calls them, it stands for "Fake TOMS"). That night, we started watching Fiddler on the Roof, but again made it into a two part movie night (we are to finish it later tonight). 
     This brings us to today. Today I woke up at 5am. We left the campus at 6:30am heading to the stadium market - pretty much a farmers market. Now, I have been to these types of markets before, but never one as large as this one was. It was definitely overwhelming and there    are so many precautions that no one ever really told us about. For instance, ladies are not to take a purse to the stadium market and it is not even wise to being a cell phone or camera with you. You carry everything in your pocket and always need to be extra aware of who is around you because people apparently get pick-pocketed all the time there. I'm glad I took a couple of grocery bags though, it made things a lot easier. I paid 1 lempira for a jalapeƱo! That's like 5 cents! After the market, we went to another grocery store and then a bakery for fresh bread and pastries. I have since then spent the day with a nap, lunch, and now I'm plugging into the internet. 
     Speaking of internet. Our connection has been delayed until Monday or Tuesday. The internet people came with a broken modem and they need to replace it - kinda a long story. Oh yeah, I made the taco meat mom! Notes for next time: I need to add more comino and attempt to make better shells. Other than that it was wonderful!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment