Saturday, August 13, 2011

Tegucigalpa, Honduras + Pictures


{Written Friday, August 12, 2011}


Last night marked one week since my arrival here inTegucigalpa, Honduras. The excitement is still alive believe it or not. I have made many friends here already and am excited to meet my students. I'm proud to say that I now know and have friends from all over the place - even one from Indonesia and one from Canada! I know a few people from Honduras now and I look forward to developing deeper relationships with them as time passes. I may even get guitar lessons from Fernando (a local classical guitar teacher) - I'm very excited about that! 


We've been in either transition meetings or teacher meetings everyday for the past week, which is a little exhausting, but worth it since I'm entering my first year teaching. I feel like it's information overload! ~ I realized today that Honduran coffee is much stronger than I anticipated, and that doesn't help when I'm forced to sit for hours at a time (see picture of the infamous coffee sock). I was practically bouncing off of the walls (no joke)- Sarah can attest to that. ~ I did crash later that evening, just in case you were wondering.


I've already learned so much about myself here and I truly believe that God was preparing me over the past eight months for this time. I am free to be myself here, and I'm so much more flexible and willing to adapt and go through change. More so than before. The weather here has been amazing, and at night (when it's not raining) the stars shine like crystals. It's so beautiful. I will say that I do miss my freedom to get up and go, but that just makes me chill out more and enjoy relationships (no wrong in that).


Well, here's what you've been waiting for... some pictures!! enjoy!!



The view from the Cobbles back porch. Awesome!
It's even better at night! Imagine glowing lights, clear sky and amazing stars!

                   Leche (I think) Tastes like a giant grape.                      First time using a coffee sock.


 
                 My first fiesta here in Honduras!                                            These are some wonderful ladies...
                      Happy Birthday Melissa!                                                       Sarah, Lauren and Gabrielle
The girl standing up (Stacey) reminds me of Jamie. So many cool personalities.

This is El Hatillo where both the school and apartments are.
We can tell that this is our mountain by the Jesus statue and Coca Cola Sign.
Can you see them?


2 comments:

  1. Hey Amanda! Miss you & want to say I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to see & hear more!!! The sun is shining brighter in Honduras, since Amanda landed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe Kathleen! You are too sweet! Miss you and your creativity!!

    ReplyDelete