Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Importance of Relationships

I came here with the excitement of meeting new people, the excitement of developing relationships with both fellow teachers and the students. It is very apparent how much the culture of Honduras revolves on the development of relationships. In the states, we're use to getting things done. No time for small talk. Here it is exactly the opposite. You need to get to know one another. There should be no reason why you can't stop and say hi or ask how their day/week has been. The culture is relational, and I definitely had a taste of it this past Friday during seventh grade orientation and open house. I met so many students and their parents that afternoon that both my Spanish began to come up more smoothly (even though I still had roadblocks in the translation) and my excitement to begin classes grew.

One family stood out in particular. The student will be an eighth grader this year and the one thing his dad said was that they were there to help me with any problems I may have and that we were a team. We are expected to work together and that is beautiful. I can't imagine not having that support out here. I am very thankful for the involvement of some of the parents here and the excitement that everyone has in coming to a renovated school and entering a new school year. There were also several students who came up to me excited for class to begin because they were "tired of summer". I can't wait to begin teaching.

Community.
Community here on the campus is really a beautiful thing. There is definitely an open door policy and everyone is full of smiles and encouragement. Relationships sprout like wildflowers. We are comfortable with each other even despite our different personalities. We all have something to share with one another and it is interesting to get all of these ideas and viewpoints from all over the place. I definitely do not feel alone here. My housemates are awesome and very welcoming, and I enjoy building relationships with my neighbors as well. Everything seems to be falling into place.

I've even been able to keep in contact with a few people back home which really does brighten up my day. I love you all!! But overall, if I've learned anything about relationships the past 8 months it's this - it's so important to speak up and say what you're feeling, tell the truth - without that your just hiding. It's also important to trust God with your relationships. Let Him handle the dirty work, and let Him use you to impact the lives of others. We are made for relationships and community and I'm thankful for everyone that I've met and come in contact with thus far.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment