Thursday, September 1, 2011

First Four Days of School And Some


Apparently this blog couldn't wait for the weekend. 
Now, where to start.
     This week has been the beginning of my first school year on the other end of the food chain. I am now teacher and not student. Sometimes i can't even believe it. The degree that I had worked so hard for was now being used. at times I feel as though being in college was a crutch, wanting to teach but at the same time not wanting to be on my own. I am approaching this year with high hopes and an attitude of trial and error. yes, I may not know what i am doing sometimes, but the kids will surely correct me (if they even have the slightest idea of what I am talking about). I have the privilege to teach 7th, 8th and 9th graders as well as an art elective comprised of only 11th and 12th grade students (of whom I have yet to meet). 
     I must say, being that it is only the 4th day,  that teaching here has definitely been a blessing. The first four days have been a learning experience, and as I learn my own teaching style I am also learning the learning style of another culture. Yes, there are similarities between the teenagers here and the teenagers in the states. But being a "gringo" teacher (I'm still not sure if I'm included in that term) the students have many more questions. So we are learning about one another. Today one student asked me why I didn't say "hey y'all?" or have a deep-rooted Texas Twang. I told her, that her idea of people from Texas is a misconception and that not all people from Texas talk like that. I later said, "Alright y'all, get the hall pass handout out". Rookie mistake. They of course caught it and made sure I knew it - I denied it. 
     Moving on, last week I went out on a limb (no pun intended) and attempted to play soccer here at the school. That night (Tuesday) I played like a champ. I scored a goal that wasn't counted and by the end of the night my ankle took twist. To say the least, my night was cut short and I ended up catching a ride on John's back up to the apartments. Well, fast forward to yesterday (Wednesday) just before the after school meeting. I was tipi-toeing with anticipation of getting this ice cream thing on a stick (called Zero I believe). Well, on my way down the tipi-toe my ankle went as well. I heard a crack and all of a sudden an explosion of pain erupted in my ankle area. I bit my lip and limped back to my seat (yes, chocolate ice cream on-a-stick in hand). We split up into groups for prayer and I asked for healing in my foot - fast forward one hour later and I was sitting in the hospital waiting to be called up for my appointment. Yes, I said hospital. Apparently here, most doctors have their office in a hospital. This scared me. 
     So, here I am. Sitting on the couch with my purple cast foot in the air writing about my week thus far. Back to the students… they are great. Of course there are a few classes that will be of some trouble, but i'm not afraid of them. This teacher thing has been going pretty well. With each class comes some wisdom, so by the end of the year hopefully I will know a thing or two. 


 

Oh yes, the good'ol first day of school pictures. (Me and the housemates)

First day of my official teaching career... complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment