Thursday, December 1, 2011

How do I describe my students...

It's easy to compare my students to the students I taught during student teaching (Spring 2011 - Austin, TX), but that doesn't do any justice. They rare a unique group of kids. Not only are they the children of some of the wealthiest families here in Tegucigalpa, they come with so much other baggage, experiences and responsibilities. Not to mention the bilingual portion of their education. The culture of this city for one thing does not have the most kid friendly atmosphere. There's an extra caution that comes with being free outdoors. But then again, these students have so much technology to keep them indoors anyways, why would they go outside?
     My students also come with many challenges. Not all of them have the close-kint family life that some of us may have enjoyed. These kids have hard working parents, maids, butlers, drivers, guards, you name it. I'm sure all of that has great influence on their lives. They ask many questions. Many. Over and over again. It can get frustrating, but God definitely has given me the grace needed to work with them day in and day out. Many of them don't know how to problem solve. They need to be walked through it, step-by-step - yes, even after explanations and demonstrations of some of the most basic procedures. There sometimes seems to be no independence.
     Lately I've been asking for prayer requests in some of my classes. I don't read them out loud to the class, but when I do go back and read them my heart breaks for them. They ask for change - in their lives, in their country, in their family. My biggest realization is that they have real needs too. What goes on behind the scenes is brought into the classroom, and their attitude that day is reflective of what happened at home the night before or even that morning. It's amazing. I Love it when I get to have real conversations with some of them. They have opened up to me so much, and it is definitely a blessing to be a part of.
     Some girls in my elective class asked me today if I was spoiled when I was younger. I told them that I did get away with a lot of things when I was younger, but that I was convicted in high school about taking advantage of my mom's giving. I explained to them how I went out to get a job at the age of 15, and how I have been working ever since then. They looked at me in amazement. Apparently it isn't very common (or at least among their economic status) for children to work until they graduate from college.
     Anyways, all this to say, the students here are a very unique group to work with. The challenges we all face in the classroom, although similar to that in the States, come with a twist and it's definitely a trial and error environment. It is my hope that they leave my classroom at the end of the year having experienced as much as they can within the art field while producing work that they can be proud of and keep for future reference. I hope to build deeper relationships with many of them, and to really see them grow and develop a deeper relationship with God.

One of my three 9th grade classes taking a group photo on my birthday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment