Saturday, December 31, 2011

Tegus -->El Paso --> Austin --> Tegus

The past two weeks have gone by extremely fast. It feels as though I should barely be getting ready to go home for Christmas. Yet, here I am, back to my home #3, getting ready to bring in the New Year. It's been a trip, literally. It was great to be back home for a little over a week. I was able to visit with some old friends and hang out with family. Being home feels so different though. I can tell more of where I've grown and notice areas in which I may still need to work on - but that's never ending, right? I spent a lot of time battling with thoughts from the past. Situations that I was in a year ago, emotions that I was going through, and all the questions that were being asked didn't help keep my mind off of those times. At the same time though, I was encouraged to follow my dreams, and encouraged to do all that I can, while I still can. 
     Family relationships have changed. Everyone is growing up and dealing with their own issues. It doesn't help that I only get parts of stories here and there while I'm away, but I'm left trying to plug in the missing pieces throughout the short time that I am there. I Love them anyway. The week in EP ended with a tragedy as well as a celebration. Andrea's grandmother passed away on Christmas night, but earlier that morning Bianca announced her engagement. To say the least, Christmas 2011 was very emotional. 
     Tuesday came sooner than expected, but probably at the right time. I said my good-byes the night before at Angelica's Birthday dinner and hopped on a plane the following morning Austin-bound. Besides the 2 hours of sleep that night and the exhausted, tired eyes, it was so good to be back in Austin. I was fortunate enough to be able to rent a car to use throughout my time in ATX and had the freedom to roam the city. I missed driving in general, but driving in Austin and visiting all of my favorite places was absolutely refreshing. I spent some time at Mozarts (drinking coffee and sitting by the river), I did a little shopping, spent time with Sarah, and went on a search for some TOMS. I had lunch with some of my greatest friends, and on my last night was shockingly surprised. There was a leadership gathering at the Lloyd's new house (when I went to see Aneiya) in which I was able to hug and see all of the leaders who helped me make the big decision to move and guided me through all of the tough decisions of 2010-2011. That was the best unintentional surprise party ever! I couldn't have asked for a better way to leave Austin. 
     Then came Wednesday and off I was to my home #3 - Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Early morning, crazy flights, weird weather, and an increase in baggage fees lead me to believe that the day was going to be rough. I was exhausted from another night of a 2 hour rest and was sad to be leaving Austin just when I was beginning to enjoy my old friends. Landing in probably the shortest runway ever, and after waiting in immigrations and customs, I was greeted by Richard. As we waited for Leslie to land, we came across two other teachers - Susie and Jenna. It was a sweet little reunion. Once I got home, I felt a sigh of relief. All of  the crazy travel over (for now) and I could finally rest. New Years is right around the corner - it's time to regroup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment