Sunday, December 18, 2011

Home for the Holidays

     I made it! Finally... after what seems like a whole day's worth of traveling, I finally made it home. I'm not that great at flying, so i usually don't get that much sleep the night before, and there was nothing different this time. Running on 4 hours of sleep, I woke up at 5 am, packed a little more, typed out my lesson plans for the first week in January, then packed a little more. I was glad to have had a brief breakfast with everyone before I had to head out on the 830am bus to the airport. i was the only one who left on the early bus, so I felt a little left out, but I was hoping to see them at the airport later on anyways.
     What seemed lie hours later, we arrived at the airport and quickly checked in our luggage, paid for the tax fees, and went up to the lobby area for coffee and to relax. We were about 2 and a half hours early. i did a little walking around in the souvenir shops and grabbed a Mocachino to comfort the anxious body. Then, once we got heard of the 2nd bus arriving at the airport (the bus that practically everyone else was on)... I slowly made my way down stairs to see my friends once more before the big departure. and low-and-behold... Diego popped up!! That was such a great surprise and a wonderful way to leave Honduras, even if it was just for  a short trip to the States.
     Emotions were all over the place. Really. It was kinda confusing. I wasn't sure whether to be happy to be going home, sad to be leaving a place that I was beginning to call home, sad to be departing from close friends, or excited to be able to see and catch up with old friends. A weird situation to be in. But yes, the reminder was that it was only for a couple of weeks. We can handle a couple of weeks.
     We eventually say good-byes, and the first group went out past our last security spot and to the gate where we waited once more. I was able to board early since i apparently was given the privilege of fling FIRST CLASS! My seat... 2A!! I plopped down in what felt like a giant lounge chair while the lady brought me a drink. Once in the air, i was able to watch the movie Crazy, Stupid, Love (FOR FREE!), and I was given a form star meal! They served steak with potatoes and veggies, (or shrimp with rice), a biscuit, a side salad... and the best part... CHEESECAKE!  I had it made on the flight back to Texas! It was awesome!
     Eventually I landed in Houston, made it through customs and to the next gate on time to head home to El Paso. A long day, but a great one because I was able to come home to my family and enjoy the crazy things they do and the laughter that comes with it. All I can say is that this week is going to be nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment