Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Song of the Vineyard

I will sing for the one I love a song about his vineyard:
My loved one had a vineyard on a fertile hillside.
He dug it up and cleared it of stones and planted it with the choicest of vines.
He built a watchtower in it and cut out the winepress as well.
Then he looked for a crop of good grapes, but it yielded only bad fruit.

"Now you dwellers in Jerusalem and men of Judah, judge between me and my vineyard
What more could be done for my vineyard than I have done for it?
When I looked for good grapes, why did it yield only bad?
Now I will tell you, what I am going to do to my vineyard: I will take away its hedge, and it will be              
     destroyed; I will break down its wall, and it will be trampled.
I will make it a wasteland, nether pruned nor cultivated, and briers and turns grow there. I will will
     command the clouds not to rain on it."
- Isaiah 5: 1-6

Wow, wow, wow. The story speaks for itself. How often do you realize that God has set you up for victory? That this whole entire time He has kept your best interest at heart - He ONLY wants the best for you and nothing less. We are His "choicest of vines" and He had prepared a place for us to grow and multiply (to be a good crop), but yet there is bad fruit. Now in the story He is speaking of those in Jerusalem, those who have chosen to disobey and turn from Him and towards sin. What gets me is what He ended up doing to His vineyard. Take away, destroyed, break down, trampled. I want nothing to do with any of those words. I hope you feel the same way.
     Keeping that in mind, how much more are we to be thankful for God's continuous love and mercy? That he doesn't just abandon us and hope for the best. Nope. He pursues us, He clears the way for us to be successful, and for that I am very, very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment