Friday, November 25, 2011

Singing in the Car

One of the things that I miss most from my life before the big move is singing in the car. I commuted from San Marcos to Austin often, and from one end of the city to the other just to teach. To say the least, there was plenty of down time whether it be in traffic or just distance. So I sang. No one really heard me, they probably saw me and made judgments, but for the most part that was my time. My time to really express my Love to the one who Loves me daily without fail. I miss that.
     It's not that I can't do that here. I sure can. This weekend I had the opportunity to go on a trip (location is still fuzzy to me) and take some time off. To get out of El Hatillo and travel a bit. It all sounded so great to me, but then within the past 24 hours over Thanksgiving, my heart felt heavy. Then today, when I woke up I read this devotional that spoke so true to my heart. This is the beginning,

     One of the blessings of the old-time Sabbath was its calm, its restfulness, its holy peace. There is a strange strength conceived in solitude. Crows go in flocks and wolves in packs, but the lion and the eagle are solitaires.
     Strength is not in bluster and noise. Strength is in quietness. The lake must be calm if the heavens are to be reflected on its surface. Our Lord loved the people, but how often we read of His going away from them for a brief season. He tried every little while to withdraw from the crowd. He was always stealing away at evening to the hills. Most of His ministry was carried on in the towns and cities by the seashore, but He loved the hills the best, and oftentimes when night fell He would plunge into their peaceful depths.
     The one thing needed above all others today is that we shall go apart with our Lord, and sit at His feet in the sacred privacy of His blessed presence. Oh, for the lost art of meditation! Oh, for the culture of the secret place! Oh, for the tonic of waiting upon God!

So here I am. I decided to stay back from the adventure, and just enjoy being in His presence. I have the entire apartment to myself and I am free to sing. (It's like being in a gigantic immobile car). Yes, there's plenty of work to do and some friends stayed here too, and that's great, but for the most part I am just enjoying the peace. The same devotion from this morning had this poem which is wonderfully written. Enjoy. 
 
     It is well to live in the valley sweet, 
     Where the work of the world is done, 
     Where the reapers sing in the fields of wheat, 
     As they toil till the set of sun. 
     But beyond the meadows, 
     the hills I see Where the noises of traffic cease, 
     And I follow a Voice that calleth to me 
     From the hilltop regions of peace.
 
     Aye, to live is sweet in the valley fair, 
     And to toil till the set of sun; 
     But my spirit yearns for the hilltop's air 
     When the day and its work are done. 
     For a Presence breathes o'er the silent hills, 
     And its sweetness is living yet; 
     The same deep calm all the hillside fills, 
     As breathed over Olivet.

I hope you are encouraged and don't forget to take the time that we all truly need to just bathe in God's presence and peace. And take your time to sing. Worship is the best, no matter what language it may be in, God hears it. I am so looking forward to worship tonight. To be in a community where God is the focus and where we can all life up His name and praise Him through lyrics is the best environment. 


P.S.
This is a link to the devotional's website: 
 Streams in the Desert Daily Devotional
 




No comments:

Post a Comment