Sunday, January 27, 2013

Ring around the Rose

I have this ring. A very important ring for many reasons. Last Wednesday somehow it slipped off.

Now get this, I never take this ring off. NEVER. I shower with it, wash my hands thousands of times throughout the day with it, etc. I never take it off. But somehow between sleep on Tuesday and bed time on Wednesday it came off. It wasn't until I was washing my hair Wednesday night that I noticed the ring was missing. And I panicked. I was on my hands and knees, with tears in my eyes, searching for this ring. I looked in the bathroom, my bedroom, closet, I even took off all of my blankets and sheets and shook them to see if hopefully a ring would fall to the floor. Then I would search the floor again. I remembered hearing something metal fall to the floor during the day but thinking nothing of it. I thought that it must have been a paperclip or something when I couldn't spot anything right away. So I had ignored it. Well, after finally getting myself to climb into bed, I hopped right out and grabbed the keys. I headed to my classroom where I again, searched the floor on hands and knees. And to no avail... no ring. I fell asleep that night exhausted and drained. I woke up feeling very much not myself.
     I went about my day, told Ruth (my classroom maid) about what happened, and looked in another teacher's room as well. Still no ring. So I let it go. Meanwhile everyone who I came across would repeatedly tell me, "Don't worry, you'll find it" or "If it's important to you, then it's important to God. You'll find it. Be positive." My mind couldn't wrap around it. I was very sad about the lost ring. I checked online to see if it could at least be replaced and after thinking that it had been put on the discontinued list and found that it was still available for purchase. After that discovery I felt a little better, but still it was a hard reality that I had lost my ring.
     Later that night (Thursday night), after going to the city for coffee and volleyball (and posting the sad story on Facebook), I got ready for bed. Before sneaking under the covers, I felt the need to pray for a few people, so I did. Then I asked God for rest. And so I turned off the lights, snuck under the sheets and rolled around to get comfy. I felt something. Something had rubbed up against my leg. I reached down, and low and behold... my RING!! It was pitch black in my room and all I could do was burst with excitement following a couple of air kicks and a "Thank you God!!" It truly was a miracle. I had just shook the sheets and blankets the night before and nothing! And now my ring appeared right smack in the center of my bed!

What has stuck with me throughout this experience is what one of the teachers told me, "If it is important to you, it is important to God." How true is that! And what a blessing!! God knows the deepest, secret places in our hearts. He knows what could heal the wounds and how to bring about the peace and comfort that we so desire. He knows things! And yes, he cares about the small things too (even my ring!!)! So why not ask God about them? Not talking about them does not make them invisible, God already knows and already has a plan in store. And how cool is it to see God's plan reveal itself? He knew how much that ring meant to me, he knew I wanted it back. And I believe that He helped bring it home.


No comments:

Post a Comment