Wednesday, June 20, 2012

holding loosely


Here's something I read in a devotional a few months ago and just saw it again today. The truth behind these words really hit home - twice. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Just imagine you are in the palm of God's hand, always.

***********
"I am here, I want to be with you, I am holding onto you. However, my hands are gently holding, with as much space as I can create for you to breath and move."

Imagine a delicate, colorful butterfly flitting around your yard and landing on your hand. How would you hold it? If you held your hands completely open, palms flat, chances are it would fly away. In contrast, imagine if you squeezed your hands together and held on tightly, in fear of losing her. It might hurt her. 

But what if you cupped your hands to where they created a safe, enclosed, yet spacious place for her to be?
***********

Puts some things into perspective doesn't it. I believe that the last option is where God has placed us  in His hands. I believe that God loves us so much that He is willing to give us the space we need, yet He holds onto us so that we don't fly away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment