Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Word on the Street

My 7th graders came up to me today with a rather upset face and asked, "Is it true?". I of course responded with, "Is what true?". Then they proceeded to tell me that the word on the street was that I was not coming back next year. I had to finally admit it to them, and tell them that what they had been hearing was in fact true. That I will be heading back to Texas.
     In class, a couple of them (still 7th graders) insisted that I was going back to Texas for a boyfriend. Oh brother! Even though I repeatedly told them that I was single, they insisted over and over that I was not. One of the boys even said, "How could you not have a boyfriend? Are they crazy? You're a catch!". At that point all I could do is smile and nod my head.
     I wouldn't say that I've been totally calm with the idea of returning to Texas. Lately, I've actually been getting kinda antsy. I'm not worried about the job situation, I'm believing that something will happen in it's timing,  but it's the endless options that are laid out in front of me... those are making me antsy. Which way do I go? Do I pursue a Masters? Do I look more into art therapy? Do I focus on missions work? Do I seek other opportunities in the world (like the one offer in Africa)? Do I start up a small business, or two? So many options, and now's the time. I am single and all I have to worry about is myself right now, so I guess now is the chance to take risks.
     As much as I wish my 7th graders were right, that I was coming home for someone "special" (aka a bf), I am coming home for many others. I am excited to be able to be closer in proximity to family and friends, and who knows... maybe that special someone will walk right on in and join the team. Either way, no matter how the rest of this year plays out, there are a few things that are certain to happen. God will provide a perfect job for this part of my life. I will miss these kids that I get to see everyday. And I will be surrounded by opportunity - opportunity to serve in the community, to lead groups, to make a difference and play a part in things that I had previously never even thought of. And that is exciting!

Now my prayer for tonight is that God would listen to the thoughts of these 7th graders. Listen and run with the idea!  :)   ... but of course, all in God's timing.

My latest painting... from Texas to Honduras. 

No comments:

Post a Comment