Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Good Ol'Texan Accents

There's something special about meeting people who come from your homeland. This past weekend I had the privilege in serving along with other Pinares teachers at the annual Honduran Missionaries Retreat. Even though we were in charge of kid duty, I had a few adult conversations in-between sessions. I met about 8 other missionaries, 4 of them being from Texas! It was so encouraging to hear their stories and to get to understand where they come from and how they are serving the people of Honduras. To hear of their financial struggles and conflicts with city laws/regulations on top of their continuous pursuit to bring the Gospel into the lives of the children and families in their area really tugged at my heart. It made me wonder whether I was even touching the iceberg with the ultimate purpose of why God had put me here in Honduras to begin with. I'm sure I have. I'm sure seeds have been planted somewhere, and the reality is that I may never come to fully see the fruits of them, but with what I have to offer right now the most I can do is to try.
     It's like a piece of home for me when I get to sit and talk about life with other thick Texan accents. But the most exciting part is that they understand. Leaving the table knowing that they will pray for me in the next season of life even though we've only know each other for a little over an hour is a reminder of home for me. This weekend came with good timing. As the school year comes very close to an end, it's good to gain perspective as to where we are and where we want to be come July.

No comments:

Post a Comment