Thursday, March 7, 2013

"Mini-Retreat"... Sort Of

Sometimes I just have to get off the mountain! I typically retreat to one particular coffee shop down in the city on those days after school when I just can't stand to stay on the mountain and be that close to campus. Today was one of those days, and despite my close-to-extreme exhaustion, I went on a "mini retreat". I ran home as soon as the bell rang, changed from dress to jeans, grabbed my book and hopped on a bus. Over the past couple of months I've been reading (along with my care group) a book over the topic of Trusting God. While the book is not the topic of this blog, it is a good one and aspects of it are revealed to me in a new way every week. It's a challenging thing to fully learn to trust God and understand that He is sovereign over all.
     Well, usually during my afternoon visits to the coffee shop a blind man comes in for his afternoon coffee and snack. He seems like such a sweet man, and at times I wish my Spanish was better so that I could help him out, but he taught me a lesson today. Although physically he can not see, he is very trusting. He trusts that others will help guide him (and they do), he trusts in his senses with smell and touch, and from a distance he appears to be very content given his circumstance. Now that I think about it, I don't think he has ever sat down without a smile on his face. I think today he even prayed over his coffee before his first drink. How many of us live our lives "blinded" in trusting our Creator with every aspect of our lives? I know I'm guilty of slipping on that one. It's one thing for me to read about it and try to understand, but to put it into practice has proven to be a challenge. To trust God with everything and understand that He is sovereign. Wow. What a discipline.
     Today my frustration level reached an all time high. Some of my 7th grade girls even asked me if I was okay. All I could say was that I was very, very frustrated. They claimed that I had been "quieter" than normal... I just really got tired of repeating myself.
     We all need guidance, especially during those moments when we feel fully blinded by the world around us. I don't think I've been this frustrated in a long time and I especially don't like the fact that it has affected my classroom. So I will be the first to admit that I need help (and a massage). I can't do this on my own.
     Be in prayer with me this coming weekend that strength may be renewed, frustrations lifted, and that a deeper level of trust be established in all of our hearts.

Happy Almost Friday.



No comments:

Post a Comment