Sunday, March 18, 2012

Separation Anxiety

It's definitely hard when you come to a place without any close relatives, friends, or even common acquaintances and are expected to "fit in". It's hard to find that group of people who will accept you for who you are and nothing less. I keep saying that it's hard because, for me, it is a very difficult thing, but when I find that person or that group of people, I tend to keep them for life. It was very exciting to have met so many people the first few weeks here in Honduras... and to feel like a community. For the first few days it was everyone getting to know everyone, and then we naturally began to break up into closer groups of friends. 
     From then on, I had a feeling of belonging. I guess you can say that I was officially "accepted" and things began to feel more like back home... just with different personalities and more limitations. Well, time goes on and activities become fewer, but I am still getting to know others who are outside of my closer group of friends. 
     Last night we had a farewell party for a couple who has had the privilege of serving here for the the past five years. The Kolmodins have had a huge impact on the life here at Pinares. I've only known them for 8 months and I can't imaging life here without them. Dave and I now have frequent guitar lessons at the end of the day, and just passing him in the halls is always a breath of fresh air. They both really do reflect God's Love and passion for others. They will be missed greatly here. I already miss them and they haven't even left yet. I am also in denial that they are leaving. Going back to Michigan to start up a campground is such an exciting opportunity and I'm sure it will become a place of escape for many of us. Hopefully we can all have a reunion there someday. 

The Kolmodins


No comments:

Post a Comment